Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bring a little holiday cheer to Leland, MS!

My friend was driving me to the airport to catch my flight back to MS over Thanksgiving break and we started brainstorming goals for me to have over the 3.5 week period between holiday breaks.  We settled on me celebrating the holidays just like I would if I was back home.  And thats what I have done :)

Everything from my classroom to my house to my bedroom has a little bit of holiday cheer.  Do others appreciate it? Who knows.  Do I appreciate it? EVERY DAY BABY!!!  I have always loved the holidays.  As a kid I loved the presents on Christmas morning but as I have grown older, I realized that its the days leading up to Dec 25th that are amazing.  Its the Christmas music playing on all radio stations.  Its the sense of giving rather than receiving.  Its all the fantastic smells and flavors coming out of the kitchen. And of course it’s the family that surrounds you. THATS why I love the holidays.

My classroom has a christmas tree on the door and tinsel in the room as well as a garland.  Yes I did say a christmas tree!!! We have one in our cafeteria as well. Hell we said the Lords Prayer before our last soccer game but hey thats another blog...Anyways I love it.  And the kids seem to enjoy the holiday cheer too.

My house has some snowmen that light up.  Some window cling pictures.  And of course lights!! One of  my neighbors commented on how I really "went all out" for just a few days.  Well to me, it was really important to do so.  Even if I am far away from home in a new place with an incredibly hard job, I am determined to keep this the same.  Its all part of not allowing school to completely consume me.  It has been fun and I suppose it has made the time go by SLIGHTLY faster.  My neighbor has even told me that my bedroom lights need to stay up all year round.  

What has this taught me? The holidays will pass but I will need to pick up something else to consume me for a bit.  Something not teacher related at all.  And by doing so, it will make life a little more bearable.  Ideas so far: bike riding, volunteering…  

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment