Saturday, June 12, 2010

Delta Autumn: So much information in such a small book!

Reading this book was extremely overwhelming, but interesting.  It seemed like each chapter discussed something completely different. There was so much information to take in at once.  I think it was all very useful information, but hard to dissect it all at once.


The first thing that hit me, was the list of things to do, people to meet, and supplies to buy at the beginning.  Although some stuff seemed obvious, there were so many small things that a complete list like this will come in handy.  Not too mention that the beginning of school is going to be stressful and busy, so a go to guide like this will be almost necessary to make sure you don't forget anything.  I have to say, I didn't think about EVERYTHING that you need to have ready.  Come Aug. 1. I will be looking back on these pages for advise.

Another chapter that I will have to definitely come back and look at once I know my class is the special ed one.  As I started reading I started to think about how classroom management will be hard and all the things I would have to change.  I have actually worked with special ed students, but I just feel like there are so many other things going on during my first year that I want to be able to give everyone attention.  We will see how that goes...But once I see who is in my class, I will definitely start with Delta Autumn as far as tips go for how to adjust your classroom.

The final chapter that really stuck out to me was the one about figuring out how to get additional money.  First of all I didn't realize till I came down here that there were options for funding.  I just assumed it would be out of pocket.  So its really exciting that that there are various ways to fund things. My next thought was, "Oh my! I picked the right subject!" It seems that mathematics gets more money than most other subjects other than the sciences.  I am really thrilled about this! I plan to use as much as I get.  My only question, which I feel like the book hardly talked about, was how to acquire this money.  They say ask your department head or principal, but honestly what do you do? Walk up and say "Hi I am a new teacher here, but give me my money damnit!" Although it may not be in those words exactly, the point still is that talking about money is always so awkward.  I am going to start with second years and see what they did, but that will only get me so far. At some point I am going to have to waltz up to someone and be like "Give me money!"

In sum, I would advise all new teachers or even teachers in general to read this book.  I feel better about everything now that I have.  I probably took in only a small portion of it, but its comforting to know that its there.  I have a checklist already made. I just have to open the book again in mid-july.  

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment