Thursday, June 24, 2010

Oh! How Time Flies!

I hate blogs. Its just that simple.  How are they ever suppose to convey how I am feeling?  I mentally started this blog a week and half ago.  Since then, it has morphed into something completely different.  And still, as I type, something different from what I planned is developing.  How am I suppose explain to the world what is going on in my life? I am not very poetic, but even those that are, I doubt they can even convey all their emotions.  So I am not quite sure I understand the point of them because I paint the picture that I want you to see.  With that in mind...


...We are rounding out week three of summer school! We only have 2 more weeks to go and I can hardly believe it.  Where to start? In general, things are going well. I have my time management down better so I am not up late lesson planning anymore.  In the classroom, time management is a different things :) But I am working on it!  I really appreciate teaching a subject in summer school that I will be teaching in the fall.  I didn’t think much of it at first, but now I realize I will have lessons already prepared and worksheets pre-made (with the answers!) So in my algebra one class, I am generally quite content.


Drama club, is a different story.  I don’t hate clubs at all.  In fact, I think they are brilliant.  They allow kids to associate school with something positive and fun and a little more hands on.  But this only happens if they are implemented correctly.  This did not happen and so clubs are a complete disaster at summer school.  Ask almost any first year and they will tell you their day is always going fine until 11:55 when club starts.  Here is where I think clubs went wrong: It wasn’t clear to first years that they would be basically running clubs alone.  If Quentin and I had known this, we would have taken our club in a different direction.  This is by no means the fault of second years.  They don’t come every day which then leaves the club in our hands really.  My point is that it should be made clear to first years from the start that the club is all theirs to run.


School aside, life is still good.  Living situation for the fall is questionable.  I have traveled to Greenville twice now and I believe I am headed there this weekend as well -- hopefully to sign a lease? I got into a fight with my printer and the printer won.  Its kind of all in all very reminiscent of college. Oh wait, except I wake up at 5:15 AM every morning.  Its actually not bad anymore.  Its just really hard to get enough sleep. But let me tell you, you can surely feel when you have sleep 6.5 hours compared 7 hours. 


Tomorrow is the second years last day.  I am sad to see them go but excited for it just to be Blake and I in the classroom.  I am interested to see where things go.  Lots and lots of work to do ahead of me.  All I can say is: BRING IT!


peace.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. Laura, you definitely have a great advantage having taught and seen experienced teachers teach the same subject you'll have in the fall. Unfortunately for me, no one currently in MTC has taught social studies at my grade level, so it'll be interesting to see how everything plays out in the fall. I also second your sentiments on the exodus of the second years. I wish they could stay, but I'm excited to be more present in the classroom and see what its like to teach more consistently throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your attitude and appreciate your work ethic. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete