Saturday, October 16, 2010

Six Months Later: My first visit home.

Last weekend I went home for the first time since May.  I wasn't sleeping the nights before my trip because I was so excited.  I became very lax in my classroom.  Nothing seemed to matter except getting home.

Describing my feelings when I arrived in DC is just impossible.  I was overwhelmed with just seeing a city for the first time in so long.  AND it was raining. I haven't seen rain in months.  I missed the food.  I missed the general culture.  Then i got to see all the people that I love!! It was the perfect weekend.

But what I found most interesting was talking to my friends from home and college that just graduated.  Everyone was struggling in their own way.  No one really had it "easy."  It was oddly comforting.  Yes I may be in a foreign land with no friends or family.  I have some really low days - I mean low.  BUT so does everyone! Everyone is exhausted.  Everyone is struggling with this new lifestyle that seems very monotonous at times.  I guess I had never really thought of it before.  It gave me a new perspective on life.  The Delta can be a bit of a bubble.  You just forget that life goes on elsewhere!

When it was time to leave I wouldn't say that I wanted to go back, but I wasn't as devastated as I thought I would have been.  I sort of just accepted it and moved on.  Sadly that didn't last long...

I had Monday off which meant it was four day work week.  LONGEST WEEK EVER.  It was homecoming week and the kids were off the chain.  Every day this week all I wanted to do was jump back on a plane home.  The kids came back to school particularly horrible.  But the craziness of homecoming week just made things worse.  Good thing I had an easy unit to teach, but waking up and going to school each day was a real struggle.

Oh wait, and I am sick.

Five weeks until Thanksgiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment