Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An in-depth look at Chris Curran!


Yeah right.  To be honest, I did not  read every word of Chris’ blog.  That was insane, overwhelming, and tedious.  However, I did read way more than I expected.  I got sucked into his story at first because it is so similar to mine and many other first years.  But then his witty comments and insightful entries kept me reading.  Here are my general thoughts:


  • He started out just like me! He was nervous and unsure and in a new place.  I know this sounds silly but after seeing second years teach so well it is nice to know they started in the same place.  I mean he literally had some of the same problems that I am having such as the ever present filler words such as “alright.”  But he later commented on how we was able to correct this.  Point being that being told that second years started where we are is all fine and dandy, but to actual read entries from when they were at the same place is even more comforting.  I can’t even imagine myself a year from now.
  • Small side note: its interesting how the increase in students (last year what 50? to this year 240?) changed how we both viewed summer training.  I mean generally we both feel that summer training accomplished its goal of “preparing” us.  However our improvements were complete opposites.  For example, he wanted less peer observations, and all I wanted to do this summer was to be able to observe my peers more.  He wanted more students, which is a fair argument, but I thought the increase in students rendered the three weeks of role plays tedious (they were just too long.  They certainly had a purpose).
  • Chris had some really thought through posts.  One of them that caught my eye was the one regarding “the death of MTC.” The point of this post was to predict the impact of TFA pumping the Delta with teachers on MTC in the coming years.  But what I got out of the post was the fact that MTC’s goal should be a death wish.  I had never thought about it like this, but if MTC succeeds in its goal of improving education in MS, then there will no longer be a need for programs such as MTC.
  • Chris’ first few days account reminds me to be flexible (he was in the wrong room for the first day of school and all his decorating went by the way side).  He left so many stories, both good and bad.  It was interesting and insightful to jump into someone’s head who was right where we are a year ago.  


In general, I have learned a lot about Chris, and he doesn’t even realize it! The best word I can use to sum up how I felt reading his blog: comforting.


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

5 comments:

  1. Your third point intrigued me enough to venture over to Chris's blog to take a gander myself. I agree that he presents an excellent, thought provoking entry on the possible demise of MTC. It's hard not to view TFA as a rival when we are competing for a limited number of teaching positions in the same area. That being said, what's most important is measurable success and both programs are striving towards that same goal. Both programs have arisen out of necessity and are working towards closing the education gap seen in MS. We're needed for the time being, but with enough work, inevitably neither program will have a place here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, Thank you for making your first point an excellent one because it meant that I didn't have to keep reading. Whew! I am so sick of reading blogs right now. In all seriousness though, it was a good first point. I think a lot of the time, we forget that the second years and team teachers went through exactly what we are going through. They succeeded and they failed. They are no better now than we will be in one year. As long as we keep that in mind and keep our focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, we will be golden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely correct re death of the program.

    ReplyDelete