Saturday, July 10, 2010

Teaching: Take Two!

Wow. What a difference!


Watching myself teach this time was completely different.  I thought I was confident in front of the classroom but this time around I actually am confident.  You can hear it in my voice and the way I hold myself.  That is why watching a video of myself teaching is great.  You can tell in the video that the students respect me.  I simply give them a look and they know I mean business.  My first lesson I was glued to the blackboard and in this lesson I was using the overhead and moving everywhere.  Basically it looked like a completely different person.  It makes me excited to see myself in a year from now (because there is still A LOT of room for improvement).

There were several things not captured on the video that I believe changed over the summer as well.
1.  My lesson planning skills: At the start of the summer I would come home and lesson plan from the moment I got home until 11pm.  I would be exhausted and stressed out.  NOW, I am still exhausted but not as stressed because I am getting the hang of lesson planning.  I spend a lot lesson time planning.  I am usually done within 2 hours or so.  I can't wait until I get to the point where I can do my lessons for the whole week on Sundays...

2.  Classroom Management:  I much better at dishing out consequences and doing it to everyone.  But I am concerned about is setting the tone in the fall.  With summer school, I had my second years and team teacher to do this.  They taught the first few lessons and they went the rules and consequences.  In August it will just be me.  i suppose that will be the real test.  Can I do it by myself? 

I think these two recordings have shown me that it can be useful to watch yourself teach.  I think I may try doing it during the school year.


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment