Saturday, July 3, 2010

Teaching: Take One!

Watching a video of myself teaching was comical and eye opening at the same time.  Its  always interesting to see a video of yourself because you see things from a new perspective.  I did notice several things that I didn’t realize I did. Plus the video really helped to reinforce several of the things that tended to reappear on my evaluations.


First of all, watching the video you could tell that learning was happening.  At the end of the day, that is the goal in the classroom.  The students were quiet and taking notes.  They were asking questions.  I was checking for understanding and they seemed to grasp the ideas I presented.  


I also noticed that I was attached to the board.  Now this tape was in week one.  I would already say that so much is happened.  I rarely write on the board.  I usually use overheads, powerpoints, or have students writing on the board.  This allows me to move and always see the class.  However, this video was a good reminder of why I need to continue to distance myself from the board.


The other thing I noticed was my use of filler words such as “um” “right” and “okay.” Sealand once told me, “If you don’t know what you are going to say next, pause, think about it, and then continue.” I really failed at doing this in my video.  I didn’t seem to know what I was going to say next.  Sealand has told me I am much more confident in front of the class (perhaps because I know them better now?) so I may have already improved on this.  But I believe this will still be a goal for me to achieve.  I know I still use filler words, however I have started realizing that I am using them.  I think this is step one.  Step two consists of me actually changing my language.  


Overall, I don’t think I look horrible.  I know what I am talking about.  I look professional.  And as I stated before, learning is happening.  I think there are many areas for me to improve on and I can’t wait to see a recent video of my teaching and compare them.


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment