Thursday, February 2, 2012

A day in the life of the lovely Laura Jones.

I decided this is not going to be one of those standard blogs about my daily life where I just describe what I am doing during the various hours of the day. I’ve decided to reflect on my day by describing the people I interact with throughout my days.

(545am) Of course the first face I see every morning in the mirror is my own! I remind myself that I am a beautiful, young, and (most importantly) intellegient young adult. It doesn’t matter what the people around me say. I pep myself up and get ready for the day.

(600am) Most days I run into my roommate at some point. Usually it’s to wake her up because she has hit the snooze button too much ☺ We often exchange very few words. Both of us are just too depressed that we have to go to work to really talk much more. I am not sure if you have or ever will meet my roommate, but just know that some day in the future you wil hear about her winning a National Teacher award. Once she gets our of here and into a school that really allows her to flourish, she is going to be an incredible teacher. I should tell her this more often…

(630am) Charlie. Preacher. My neighbor. My fellow mtc participant. My friend. Without him this place would just be unbareable. Literally he (and a few others) are the reason I have made it this far through this program. We keep each other going. We carpool to and from school each day. In the morning we exchange a few words but more often than not, we encourage each other to just keep going.

(730am) 1st period: JN. Every day that this child walks into my classroom, I cringe. He isn’t the student that curses a teacher out. No he is smarter than that. In fact he is smart enough to be passing my class with a decent grade! No this child laughs and has a comment for everything. He blurts things out when they are not necessary. He just has no self control and wants to be the center of attention. However, today I learned he is like this because of the life he leads at home. Today I was reminded that no matter how evil some of the children may seem, I have no idea what they wake up to every day. JN opened up to me today and I didn’t expect it. He was having a really rough day and it started at home. I didn’t expect for him to confide in me. Yet I had a conversation with that young man that I never imagined I would.

(900am) Planning Period: I am the department head and host departmental meetings. They are complete BS. But they allow me to chat with Ms. P. She is a local. She is also a very compliant teacher. Good for her because lord knows I do maybe 10% of what I am told to do…

(945am) RP!!! This child makes me laugh. He always tries to sneak by my room without me noticing. But you know what has impressed me the most? The fact that he is SPED but when the SPED teacher asks to take hime out of class, he refuses. He wants to be with the regular ed kids. I love his desire to learn and to be the best he can be.

(11am) DH. What a troubled youth. Deep down, he his a sweet boy. Yes just a boy. But when something goes wrong, all hell breaks loose. And it doesn’t even have to happen in my classroom. The poor boy needs serious anger management. I can do nothing but feel bad because truly I like the child but he has so many issues I don’t know where to begin. And I know his anger has nothing to do with me.

(12pm) LUNCH. Praise the Lord. After 4th period I generally need this break. JA makes this and my next class (1pm) so much better. He simply follows directions and is so smart. He is curious. He wants to know the answer to questions. He never puts his head down unless he is down early…and in that case I am failing him as a teacher because I don’t have enough challenging things prepared.

(2pm) By this time in the day I am mentally losing it and barely keeping it together. KL. Another troubled youth that I have taken to. Apparently I am one of 2 or so teachers where he actually does work. I have no idea why he decided to work for me. But I am so glad that he did. He is smart. He doesn’t have test taking skills but we can work with that. I usually have to calm him down and make sure he makes it to his seat without harming anyone but once there I leave him alone and he always joins the class answering and asking questions. He has even started to joke with me! I love it!

(3pm) If I thought I was dead in 7th period, I literally die in 8th period. Thank the lord above it is learning strategies. SB. My teen mom of two children. I have taken to her because she truly is a good mom. Maybe a young one but she is a good one. She knows she needs her degree to make the best of her life. And every day she comes in ready work for me.

(4pm) Preacher and I drive home. We usually jam to music because we are just so damn happy.

(5pm-10pm) I generally seen no one because there aren’t many young folk in the area. However, Preacher, Carmelle, and I often have lots of good laughs (generally at my expense…_)

(10pm) GO TO BED. I need my beauty sleep so I can do this all over again. So of course the last face I see is my own. I often look tired beyond belief with make up all over the place and hair sticking out like a crazy woman. This is my sign that I need to dive into bed and forget about the days events.

STAY STRONG.

No comments:

Post a Comment